Sunday, February 20, 2011

Roseann Mason's week at the Capitol

I spent five amazing days at the Capitol in Madison, last week. I remember being in awe as I watched the Egyptian protests last month, and now I am participating in something similar. Perhaps the most amazing thing to watch was the police officers, in full dress uniform, and the firefighters in their firefigher uniforms, marching around the Capitol and then in through the rotunda. Getting the support of those two groups who are exempt from Walker's budget repair bill was awesome. Their support encouraged the crowd to stay strong and stay as long as it takes to make sure our rights are not taken away. As you may have seen on tv, the rotunda is filled with signs from all over the country. Someone told me that people are calling Madison restaurants from all over the country to buy food for the protesters. The police deliver water to the protesters. Last night, Tammy Baldwin came to speak to the crowd. The police say that these protests are bigger than the Vietnam protests. I appreciate reading all the posts on this facebook. What you are doing at Parkside to raise awareness and understanding is so necessary. I was excited to hear about Parkside students' response to our situation. As you may know, Walker has postponed presenting his budget for 2011-2013 from February 22 to March 1. He needs this budget repair bill to pass before he presents the rest of the draconian cuts that will be included in his budget. For example, RUSD stands to lose $25 million from the state. There is already talk of cutting summer school and teacher aides. However, the delay gives us more time to make our case. The capitol protest continued today although the numbers were smaller because of the weather. The goal is to keep people coming to protest at least until Walker presents his budget. Please go to Madison if you can. You will be inspired. Any day you can go will make a difference. I enjoyed seeing some of you there, and I know I missed some of you. My son, Cory, who is the state representative from the 62nd district, loves to have people from our arera stop in his office and sign in so he knows where people stand on this issue. His office is located in 4 North on the ground floor. If he is in session when you are there, his legislative staff will be there to answer any questions you have. I will be back in Madison, on Tuesday and Wednesday, and I hope to see you there. As one of the many signs says, "The whole world is watching." My favorite chant is: "This is what democracy looks like!" Come see for yourself. You will be glad you did.
In solidarity, Roseann

No comments:

Post a Comment