Friday, February 18, 2011

Molly Beecher's Testimony

to Governor Walker:

It has been said that your office is not getting emails from those who do not support the budget repair bill. So here is my letter, stating that in no way do I support said bill.

I have worked for the U of W at Parkside for ten years, first as a student, then as an LTE, and five now as a full-time “police services associate” in the police department. I am responsible for many things here, including the answering of a 911 emergency line.

I love my job, my co-workers, and UW-Parkside, where I graduated with a BA in 2002. I am a faithful and conscientious employee. I deal with the Parkside community every single day, from seven in the morning until three in the afternoon, without a lunch break, smoke break, or any other sort of break. Sometimes I barely have a free moment to use the restroom (let’s be honest here).

I would not work here if I didn’t love what I do and love the UW. I have made it through the pay freeze and the 3% furlough cut with barely anything to spare once basic – and necessary - bills are paid. I would be willing to give up a little more to help out, if I wasn’t paid nearly 5% less than this “private sector” than seems to enjoy vilifying public workers as over-paid and lazy.

I would be 100% supportive of my union meeting you to discuss these things, but there has been no discussion, nor requests for discussion. We’re being told – not asked – to “do our part” as if we haven’t been “doing our part” already. What you are asking from us could very well cause me and the thousands of other Wisconsin workers in the same situation as I am to end up applying for public assistance and possibly even losing our homes. How will that be helping this “budget crisis”, if there even is one?

This insistence that state workers are over-paid, lazy, and undeserving of union representation is a terrible insult to me and all of my hard-working, taxpaying fellow employees. Much attention is being placed on K-12 teachers, but public servants are also campus police officers, administrative assistants, custodians, corrections workers, snowplow drivers, and more. I make less than $30k a year, but I am overpaid and entitled? No. I am a dedicated Wisconsin employee who doesn't want to see this state move backwards fifty years in the space of a single vote.

We are taxpayers, too. We work these jobs because we love and believe in them, and not for the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment