Friday, February 18, 2011

Rachel Lofton's Testimony

My name is Rachel Lofton and I am a student at UW-Parkside. I was recently informed about the bill that Governor Scott Walker is trying to pass. This bill is going to affect all state workers, including teachers. For as long as I can remember, I've had the desire to become a school teacher. In 2009, I enrolled at UW-Parkside knowing that soon my dreams will finally come true. I am a strong believer in education and I preach to my children each day about how important education is and how they need to learn how to appreciate knowledge. What am I supposed to tell them now? How can I look my children in the eyes and explain to them that our government does not value our education? As a student, I am concerned because this decision that is being made within any real thought will soon trickle down and affect me and my children as students. As a future teacher, I am outraged because this same decision will limit the support of my own family. It is sad when we depend on teachers to educate us and our children but they are so poorly compensated. Governor Walker, you are destroying our future by taking from our teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment